Wigs and Head Covers
Finding Wigs and Head Covers : During COVID-19 we have closed our wig salons. We suggest the TLC catalog www.tlcdirect.org, 1-800-850-9445. Be sure to ask for the $70 off coupon.
How do I go about finding a wig or head covering?
Women tell us that losing their hair from chemotherapy can be the most stressful aspect of their treatment. They offer some suggestions to make this experience a little easier:
- Meet with the wig supplier/stylist while you still have a full head of hair so they can better understand your current hairstyle, color and approach to grooming.
- Bring a friend who can be honest about what looks good and natural on you. Better to have them be blunt up front, than to wear something unflattering.
- Some women find that shaving their head or getting a crewcut as the time approaches is more empowering and less traumatic than watching as clumps of hair fall out. Some women ask a girlfriend or partner to shave their head for them, to have the experience be more shared and intimate. Some families try to make an 'event' of shaving Mom's head, so that the children feel a part of things, and can see the humor amidst the sadness.
- Don't let someone talk you into spending more than you are comfortable with or more than is necessary. You can buy a very attractive, easy to take care of, synthetic wig for around $200. There are some salons that will charge over $1,000 and insist you will 'want' a human hair wig that needs to be washed and styled frequently. This is not recommended.
- Your doctor can write you a 'prescription' for a 'cranial prosthesis' that you can submit to your insurance after purchasing a wig. Most insurance companies do not cover wigs, or only give you a small amount towards the purchase.
- You may want to knit your own "chemo cap", or let friends know that they can knit hats for you. Click here for a website that has several patterns.
The Regina Brett Wig Salon
The Regina Brett Wig Salon is a service offered by The Gathering Place that provides a synthetic wig free to those who experience hair loss due to cancer treatment. For more information, click here.
Salons Offering Wig Services
We have surveyed our participants and they have said the following salons were kind, helpful and had a good selection. This is not a complete list of all salons in our area, and is not in any way a judgment of salons not listed.
A Special Touch Boutique , 8252 Darrow Rd., Suite A, Twinsburg, 330-405-9533
A Woman's Place, Discount Drug, Mart, Highland Hts., 440-684-1142, Click here for details
Accents of Hair by Vincie, 25550 Chagrin Blvd., Beachwood, 216-831-8918
Advanced Hair Center, 24800 Chagrin Blvd., #212, Beachwood, 216-292-0224
Complete Image, 1450 SOM Ctr. Rd. #3 Mayfield Hts., 440-461-4247
Eve Loren Wigs, 252 Shoregate Mall, Willowick, 440-944-7600
Hair Care Designers, 5437 Mayfield Rd., Cleveland, 440-449-4420
Hair Options, Jennifer Weber, 23850 Commerce Park, Beachwood, 216-382-5987
Hair There & Everywhere, 32801 Vine St, Willowick, 440-943-3511
Hairways, Mi Young, 28440 Chagrin, Woodmere, 216-464-6322
Just Your Style, Inc, 9311 Lorrich Dr., Mentor, 440-209-9730
Look of Elegance, Wigs by Peshi, 3583 Bendemeer, Cleveland Hts., 216-321-9321
Lowry's, 16650 Chagrin, Shaker Hts. ,216-751-9447
Ms. Jade's Closet (Janet), 1200 Melbourne, Cleveland, 216-268-1672
Mika's, 2199 S. Green Rd., University Hts., 216-382-2954
Nino's Hair Design, 4950 Riverside Dr., Willoughby, 216-261-2848
Wig Paradise, 4014 Mayfield Rd, South Euclid, (216) 382-9635 (for natural African-American styles)
Wigs & Things, Debbie Carter, 77 N. Miller Rd., Suite B, Fairlawn, 330-864-5251
Wigs On Wheels, Dee Curry, Akron 330-865-0716, Toll free 877-865-0716
Bob's Hair Center for Men, 21799 Lorain, Cleveland, 440-331-8838
Gina Salon & Wigs, 17303 Detroit, Lakewood, 216-226-6788
Hair Compliments, 14484 Pearl Rd., Strongsville, 440-238-9779
Hair Systems by Calabretta, 5714 Pearl Rd., Parma, 440-888-4540
Joey & Me, 576 N. Leavitt, Amherst, 440-985-9447
Wig Fashions, Inc. by Stephanie, 5466 Pearl Rd., Parma, 440-886-0777
Wigs Fashioned by Lois, 5360 Broadview, Parma, 216-741-3060
TLC (American Cancer Society) , Lowest prices, nice selection of wigs and turbans, mail order catalog, 800-850-9445
Hair Loss Prevention with Ice Caps
Arctic Cold Cap, www.arcticcoldcaps.com , 877-234-1688$379+/month
Dignicap, www.dignicap.com, 877-375-8070, Dignicap is a machine that a clinic can buy to offer their patients. You are attached to the machine by wires. Not available in Cleveland yet. $275+ per treatment
Penguin Cold Caps https://penguincoldcaps.com/ 810 359 5257, Penguin cold cap sytem can be purchased for personal use. They are freestanding caps that are kept cold and need to be refrigerated and swapped out as they warm. You buy them as a set.
Hair to Stay - subsidies to eligible patients to help offset the cost - www.hairtostay.org
Rapunzel Project - lists which cancer centers have which caps - www.rapunzelproject.org
The resources and information given by our staff is NOT an endorsement of those individuals or practices. Staff members do not provide medical advice or assistance. We make every attempt to stock current, legitimate health-related materials. Opinions offered in writing or in lectures do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Gathering Place staff or Board of Trustees. We receive no fee for maintaining lists of resources and information. It is the responsibility of anyone utilizing this information to fully research the resources provided.