Tips for Coping with Cancer During the Holidays
Some people find the hustle and bustle of the holidays challenging. The pressure of trying to make everything perfect can be exhausting. A cancer diagnosis can add to the stress of the holiday season. Being mindful and utilizing helpful tips can help you find the right balance in navigating the holidays for you.
- Find the right balance between celebrating with family and friends and spending the time you may need on your own.
- Give yourself permission to pace your activities, decline some invitations so that you have the energy to enjoy gatherings that are most important to you.
- Create a new holiday tradition that makes the most of your energy. Take the pressure off yourself.
- Enjoy special moments. Try to focus on new traditions you can establish, rather than dwelling on how cancer has changed the holiday.
- Talk to your healthcare team about upcoming events. They may be flexible about appointments in order to accommodate you.
- Express your feelings in ways that help you receive the support of people in your life. Sharing can be comforting.
- Celebrate strengths that you have developed and build on them during the holidays.
- Reach out to The Gathering Place team if you feel you need some extra support.